the musings and views of a life that is ambiguous and hazy but worth living :)
Learning to walk set you free. Learning to dance gives you the greatest freedom of all: to express with your whole self the person you are.
-Melissa Hayden

Friday, December 1, 2006

Christmas Roses

My day started off in a rush. First of all I got up really really late. I jumped out of bed, brushed my teeth, practically threw on clothes, and ran out the door. Luckily I had taken a shower the night before. Rushing.

Either way, Fridays in La Joya are not bad at all. Every other week is a skills test. On the days that the students are not testing, I like to give them a "catch up" day. It means that whoever was absent during the week (and so many of them are) get to ask questions and catch up to the point where the rest of the class is. This also gives me a chance to finish any paperwork or other errands I need to do. Today was a "catch up" day. I didn't get to choreograph the solos I had been scheduled to teach today, so I did that during passing periods. I know what your thinking. A dance teacher who makes up dances in-between classes? The dance must be either be A: Bad or B: Easy. I know, its horrible to wait to the last minute to make up something that someone is paying you do you. They depend on you so they can "win at Nationals" or "dance like an angel for their 15th birthday". I know. Sometimes I think I might do an even better job when I am being pressured. It's probably just an excuse, but that's what I believe. Rushing.

I also forgot that I "okay-ed" my classroom being used for this weekend Band UIL competition. The directors wanted to come and set up after school. They asked me on Monday, and I said of course knowing that Friday I usually book it out of La Joya as fast as I can. Only......that on Wednesday....I scheduled a private for that day. They both arrive at my door at exactly the same time. I explain to the director that I will only be 15 mins. I promise. I explain to Daisy that I will teach as fast as I can. She is really supposed to have an hours worth of time to learn the part that I was going to teach today. Again...rushing.

I wish I could say that I "rushed" home. Nope. It was as if the traffic was crawling particularly slowly today. I was lucky to have some company to make the time pass by.

So I got home and this is what makes my day. I walk inside my door and I see a familiar package on the kitchen counter. My housemate must have answered the door and brought them inside because the package was placed where we always leave stuff for each other. I am still on the phone when I open them. The smell hits me first ....roses. Roses always have the most distinct smell. A familiar vase is also in the package. It was meant to replace the one that Jasper broke. Now, let me explain.....the package was very deceiving....its was wrapped so tightly that I could pull out the bouquet with one hand. It had a very clever wrapping. The bouquet was assembled so that when you open it you would have to roll it out just like a roll of paint bushes or something. Each and every rose was placed so carefully and so thoughtfully. Every color was just right. Two complete roses of 12 roses lay in front of me. The pattern was amazing. It wasn't until Marty told me that they were Christmas Roses that I understood. They were meant to look like Christmas lights. And they did. Beautiful Christmas lights! 24 long stemmed roses!

I must add that I feel like I didn't deserve them....but it certainly made my day.