the musings and views of a life that is ambiguous and hazy but worth living :)
Learning to walk set you free. Learning to dance gives you the greatest freedom of all: to express with your whole self the person you are.
-Melissa Hayden

Monday, May 21, 2007

Countdown

Only 8 more days of school left. One more Monday, one more week of lunch duty, one more paycheck, one more final to write! The only downfall is that I now have to pack up all my "teacher" stuff and take it home with me. I feel like a nomad packing up my stuff every year. Most teachers just lock their stuff in a closet, a desk, or a storage room, but since I am moving once again, I can't do that. It isn't so bad, considering I never really moved in. I pretty much just have my desk supplies, and folders to pack up. I never decorated. Now, I guess I am grateful for that.

I got overloaded with good news and bad news over the weekend. Seemed everyone I talked to had their own drama.

My sister came down for the week. Not sure how long she is going to stay, but it will be the longest period of time I see her before she leaves for N.Y.C. and London. I had a dream that I was getting on a plane to Mexico and then to Europe, and when I got to Mexico I realized I didn't have my passport. I had never received it. Ya, it was a strange dream....I have to go look up what it means. Maybe, it means that my passport is in the mail.

I gave my students a final project in which they have to split up into partners and make up a dance. They can choose whatever music they want. I gave this assignment in middle school but in groups of 4, and they were very creative. So far in the high school, I have mixed feelings. Some students are trying very hard and others are just not taking it seriously. I wish I could find some way of getting it into their heads that even though it is a "project" it counts just as much as a test grade.

Why is it that students think they can skip in my room? Maybe they think that since I look like a student, that I also think like one? I yell, I threaten, I lock doors, I just don't know what to do anymore. Good thing the Countdown is Here.

No comments: